mary short

Mary’s birth has not been found but based on later records she was born between 1812 and 1814 in Spitalfields. There are several possible baptism records from 1815 at St Matthew, Bethnal Green and St Leonard, Shoreditch but not enough information is available to confirm if either relate to Mary.

She married Thomas Dutch at Christ Church in Spitalfields on 14 October 1833 but the registers from this period do not list the fathers’ names and neither a Short nor a Dutch family member signed the register. Thomas was ten years older than Mary and was born in Bethnal Green on 14 February 1804 to John Cornelius and Elizabeth Dutch.

Their first daughter, Eliza Ellen, was baptised on 29 September 1834 at St Leonard in Shoreditch and at the time, Mary and Thomas were living in New Inn Yard, across the Shoreditch High Street and only a few streets away from the church, and Thomas was working as a Weaver.

Mary next appears in the records on 29 September 1838, when she was removed from the Whitechapel Workhouse to her home parish of Bethnal Green. The record notes that she was in the workhouse with one child, presumed to be Eliza Ellen, and was the wife of Thomas; it also includes the notation ‘ex house’ which may indicate that she was examined in the workhouse. Their daughter Eliza Ellen died between their removal to Bethnal Green and the autumn of 1838 when Mary and Thomas had a second daughter they named Eliza.

They appear in the Poor Law records again in February 1840 when Thomas applied for parish relief and was examined by the Board of Guardians to determine if he was eligible. He was living at 3 Hunt Court at the time and he was previously examined in November 1839 but unfortunately, this record is not available. Six months later, he was examined once again and he advised the Board that his wife was ill with fever but they were now living at 5 Black Eagle Street in Spitalfields with their daughter Eliza aged 22 months. Thomas was working as a Weaver and claimed residency rights in Spitalfields through his apprenticeship with a Mr. Segarus in Grey Eagle Street and his marriage at Christ Church but the Guardians deemed he should be removed to his home parish of Bethnal Green. Thomas applied relief for a third time in November and they were once again living in Hunt Court but at number 6.

Mary was back in the workhouse when her son John William was born on 4 January 1841 and she was still there when John was baptised at St Matthew on 14 February. But when the census was taken on 6 June, Thomas and Mary were again living in Black Eagle Street where Thomas continued to work as a Weaver.

The family continued to experience hardship and were forced to apply for relief from the parish once again. On 27 June 1844, they were removed from Spitalfields, the address of 30 Pelham Street (now Woodseer Street) is noted, and returned to Bethnal Green. The family is listed as Thomas, Mary and three children — which was crossed out and replace with two, Eliza 5 years and John William 3 years.

Mary and Thomas must have split up at this point or shortly after as she began a relationship with John William Mallindine, who also lived in Hunt Court. Their relationship must have started in November or December of 1844 as they had their first child, Mary Anne, nine months later. Mary and John remained together for the next fourteen years, until his death in 1858, and had four more children.

Thomas Dutch remained in the area and in 1851, he was living in a common lodging house on Shacklewell Street near the intersection of Brick Lane and the Bethnal Green Road and was still working as a Weaver. He hasn’t been found in 1861 but it appears his fortunes did not improve as he was in the Bethnal Green Workhouse at the time of both the 1871 and 1881 censuses. He also appears in numerous Poor Law records and one notes that he had been repeatedly removed from Spitalfields after claiming relief and returned to Bethnal Green. Thomas died in Bethnal Green in 1885.

Their daughter Eliza married George Henry Myers at St Mary in Spital Square on 4 October 1858 under the surname Dutch. Spital Square lay a short distance north-east of the Spitalfields Market in the Norton Folgate/Old Artillery area of Spitalfields and although the street remains, the area has been completely rebuilt with only a few of the historical buildings still standing. The church of St Mary, now demolished, started life as chapel of ease owned by Sir George Wheler but was rebuilt and converted to a parish church dedicated to St Mary in 1842.

Eliza’s address is not clear on the register but it appears to be 19 Luke Street in Mile End and her father was listed as Thomas Dutch, a Weaver. George was born in Whitechapel on 26 December 1836 to John Myers and and Esther Jane Slightholm. He was working as a Bootmaker when they married but his father was employed as a Dealer in China and Glass.

It doesn’t appear that Eliza and George remained together as by 1861, he was living with his aunt at 20 Dorset Street in Spitalfields. He was still listed as married but Eliza was not with him nor has she been found elsewhere. George married a second time, on 12 February 1876, to Matilda Harms despite the fact Eliza was still alive. George and Matilda married at St Matthew, Bethnal Green and he listed his status as bachelor, his residence as 20 White Street and his occupation as a Clicker, a term for a shoe-maker who cut the leather for the uppers of the shoe. In 1881, George and Matilda were living at 4 Berner Street in Stepney.

By 1881, Eliza had returned to live with her mother at 35 Hanbury Street and later that year, on 26 December, she also married a second time to William Ephraim Thorn at St Thomas in Bethnal Green with sister Mary Anne and her husband standing as witnesses. Eliza presented herself as a Widow and gave her father’s name as Thomas Mallindine – a combination of her father’s first name and her step-father’s surname. William was a bachelor and was twelve years younger than Eliza; he was working as a Labourer and gave his address as 4 Walter’s Terrace, Essex Street off Cambridge Road.

By 1891, Eliza and William had left the East End and settled in Walthamstow at 81 King Street. William was still working as a Labourer and Eliza’s eighteen year old nephew, William Samuels, was also living with them. Eliza died in 1896 and was buried at Queen’s Road Cemetery on 3 January. William remained in Walthamstow and in 1901, he was still on King Street but lodging with the Tolfree family at number 29. By the time the next census was taken, he was an inmate in the Union Road Workhouse in Leytonstone; he died there the following year and was buried in a common grave at the Queen’s Road Cemetery on 20 March 1912.

Mary and Thomas Dutch’s son John adopted the name Mallindine and used it consistently throughout his adult life. He married Eliza Boivin at St James in Shoreditch on 28 December 1861 and listed his father’s name as John William Mallindine. John and Eliza went on to have nine children but only five survived infancy. After Eliza’s death in 1885, John married a second time to Henrietta Knighton, nee Hanson, on 20 December 1887. He died in Bethnal Green eight years later and was buried at Manor Park Cemetery.

Mary Short died in Bethnal Green in the summer of 1894, aged.