thomas henry mallindine + caroline fairman

Thomas was born on 24 August 1852 at the Mallindine family home at 40 Booth Street in Spitalfields and baptised on 19 September at St Matthias. He was just six years old when his father John William died and he was raised by his mother, Mary Short, and grew up in Spitalfields near the market and Christ Church.

He married Caroline Fairman on 9 June 1870 at St James in Shoreditch and his mother and brother-in-law William Hellen were witnesses. Thomas was 18 years old when he married and Caroline just seventeen but they added two years to their ages perhaps to meet the ‘full age’ requirement to marry. Caroline signed the register but Thomas could only make his mark. He was a Rivetter and living at 28 Leonard Street while Caroline worked as a Machinist and lived at 5 Holywell Lane. She was the daughter of John Fairman, a Carman, and Caroline Boorman and she was born in the parish of St Mary Magdalen in Bermondsey, Surrey on 9 June 1853.

Seven months after they married, their first son, Thomas John, was born on 21 January 1871 at 17 Lion Square and baptised at St Leonard, Shoreditch on 19 February. When the census was taken several months later, Caroline and her son Thomas were living with her sister Charlotte and her husband Joseph Beszant at 17 Fox Square in Bethnal Green. The previous September, Thomas sailed from Liverpool to Canada with his half-brother John William and his brother-in-law, William Hellen and arrived in the port of Quebec City on 29 October. Their intention may have been to settle in Canada and send for their families later or it may have been a temporary plan to earn more money than they could in London before returning home. There are no records of their time in Canada and unfortunately, no return passenger lists exist for journeys before 1878 but it appears that John William returned by April and Thomas returned at some point before the early months of 1873.

Over the next six years, Thomas and Caroline had three more sons but none lived to see their second birthday. John Alexander was born in in the summer of 1873 and died on 28 April 1875 in Shoreditch. Richard Henry was born on 10 April 1876 at 8 East Street and baptised at St Stephen in Haggerston on 17 October; he died on 19 November 1876. Thomas and Caroline were still living on East Street when Arthur Henry, born in late 1877, was baptised at St Stephen on 9 October 1879; he died one week later.

Rose Angela was born on 20 October 1878 and when she was baptised at St Augustine in Haggerston one year later, the family was living at 1 Maidstone Place and Thomas was working as a Boot Laster. He worked in the shoe making industry most of his adult life and his occupation was variously listed as Rivetter, Laster or Boot Laster.

They were still on Maidstone Street in Shoreditch in 1881 but had moved down the road to number 78 where they shared the house with the Reynolds family. The following year, on 21 July, their sixth child, Edward William, was born and he was baptised at St Augustine on 16 September. At the time, the family was living at Gothic House in Talavera Place which ran between Margaret Street, now called Whiston Street, and the Regent’s Canal. Two years later, they had moved to Boston Street where Bernard George was born on 19 December 1884; he was baptised at St Augustine on 18 January 1895. Phoebe Charlotte was born on Boxing Day in 1885 and when she was baptised at St Augustine on 4 April, the family was back at the Gothic House. There are no further records for Phoebe Charlotte although there is a death record for Phoebe Mary in the third quarter of 1886 in Shoreditch that may relate to her. Frederick Ernest was born at Gothic House on 6 June 1887 and baptised at St Augustine on 28 July. They left the Gothic House and moved to Tyssen Street off Dalston Lane in Hackney where Lily Gertrude was born on 6 June 1890, and baptised at St Augustine on 19 August 1890.

In 1891, Thomas, Caroline and their six surviving children were living in 4 rooms at 14 Tyssen Street but in September that year, their sons Bernard and Frederick were enrolled in the Wilton Street School in Hackney and their address was given as 6 Tyssen Street. The school register also notes that seven year old Bernard had previously attended the Shacklewell Lane School for 16 months and that he transferred out of Wilton in November 1892. Four year old Fred enrolled in school for the first time and left Wilton in December 1894. Their eleventh child, Winifred Alice, was born on 7 December 1892 and baptised at St Augustine on 27 February 1893.

On 17 September 1896, the Islington Gazette newspaper reported on a case before the courts in which their eldest son, Thomas John, appeared as a witness to an assault on John Ballard by Charles Scofield, a wheelwright from Kingsland Road. The paper reported that:

Ballard had spoken to Schofield about the money he owed to a bar man at the Crown and Castle, later that day he was passing the wheelwright’s yard when the latter sprang out at him and struck him in the face with an iron bolt which he held in his hand. The result of this was that his eye was injured and blood spurted out, and he was felled to the ground. There was a man with him named Mallindine, whom the prisoner attacked, saying that if he had brought this man round to fight him he would give him something. Thomas John Mallindine, a cordwainer, of Tyssen Street, corroborated the evidence of the complainant and added that when the blow was struck the prosecutor’s eye fell out on his cheek. Ballard was convinced to go to the German Hospital where doctors told him that the sight in the damaged eye was lost.

By 1901, Thomas and Caroline had moved to 40 Abbott Street in Hackney along with Rose, Edward, Bernard, Fred, Lily and Winnie and the family of eight was living in just three rooms. Thomas was still working as a Boot Laster, Caroline as a Washerwoman and their older children were also working: Rose was a Domestic Servant, Edward a Carman and Bernard and Fred were Confectioner’s Assistants. Their eldest son, 30 year old Thomas John, does not appear with the family nor has he been found elsewhere in the census but he is mentioned in a newspaper record in the Islington Daily Gazette + North London Tribune five years later when he was arrested by the police for being 'incapably drunk' at 11:30 at night. It was the first time he had appeared before the magistrates and was fined 2s 6d. His occupation was listed as a boot maker and he lived at Temple Street in Dalston.

At some point after 1901, Thomas and Caroline separated and from 1903, he started to appear in the records of several local workhouses. He was first admitted on 22 December 1903 suffering from a swollen testicle but was released four days later and the following December he was admitted to the Hackney Workhouse from the infirmary and was discharged at his own request one week later. Most of the admissions relate to health conditions including fevers, an injury to his head and scabies and from 1911 until the last known admission in 1916, he reported to the workhouse guardians that he was widowed despite his wife being very much alive. Following the workhouse records, Thomas left Hackney for Edmonton and then to west London and finally to Wandsworth where he died in 1921.

Their eldest daughter Rose was the first to marry, to Henry Richard Walden at St John of Jerusalem in Hackney on 30 March 1902. On the register, she listed her address as 32 Bentham Road in Hackney and Henry, a Painter, lived nearby on Valentine Road. Henry was born on 2 November 1879 and was the son of Edward Walden, a Harness Maker.

Their son Edward William enlisted as a Driver in the Army Service Corps in 1905 and his service records note that he attested in Bedford on 18 July. He was 21 years old, 5’2” tall, 124 lbs with brown eyes and dark brown hair and was employed as a Carman. He listed his next of kin as his mother at 14 Temple Street in Dalston and that his father’s address was not known. He was assigned to Woolwich from 21 July to 25 November 1905 and during his short time there, he committed a number of offences including being improperly dressed, creating a disturbance outside a public house, absenting himself from tattoo, striking a comrade, using obscene language to a non-commissioned officer, and absenting himself from riding school for which he was punished by being confined to barracks and losing several days’ pay.

He was transferred to Chatham on 26 November but the offences continued as he was once again absent from tattoo and was found breaking into the barracks as well as another charge for using obscene and threatening language. There were no further offences in his service record until 21 December 1906 when he was arrested by the civil police in Rochester for drunkenness and was fined 10/. Four months later, he was arrested once again and charged with being unlawfully drunk while in charge of two horses and a van on a Highway lane in Bexley Heath, Kent. He had been ordered to return to barracks upon completion of his duties but he remained absent with his horses and wagon from 12:45pm until he was apprehended by the police at about 7pm. He was held in custody until his appearance at the Petty Sessional Court in Crayford, Kent where he was convicted and fined 17/ and sentenced to 14 days hard labour. He returned to duty but on 16 June, he was absent at reveille and never returned. An Army Court of Inquiry convened at the Southill Barracks in Chatham, Kent declared him a deserter on 7 July 1907. Following his desertion, Edward disappears from the public records and it is assumed that he used an alias to avoid the authorities but it is not known if he remained in England or ever had contact with his family again.

In 1911, Caroline was living in four rooms at 81 Holly Street in Dalston with three of her children — Bernard, Lily and Winnie — and she listed her marital status as ‘apart from husband’. She also noted on the census return that she had 11 children but 4 had died which confirms that Phoebe Charlotte died in infancy. Caroline was employed as a Blouse Maker and her youngest daughters also worked in the same industry with Lily a Blouse Boxer and Winnie a Blouse Fitter. Bernard had moved on from working as a Confectioners Assistant and was now employed as an Engine Cleaner.

Her son Fred and his wife lived in two rooms in the same house along with their two year old son Frederick George and daughter Violet Lily who was just ten days old. Fred had married Helen or Ellen Baker at St Jude in Islington on 16 August 1908 with his sister Lily standing as one of the witnesses. They both lived at 30 King Henry Street when they married where Fred worked as a Carman and Ellen as a Greengrocer but by 1911, he was working as a driver for the Gerard Bus Company.

Fred and Ellen had two more children: Thomas Bernard was born on 27 February 1913 at 40 Holly Street and baptised at Holy Trinity in Dalston on 30 March and William Horace was born on 20 July 1914 at 44 Holly Street and baptised at Holy Trinity on 2 September. Fred went from driving buses to repairing them and his occupation was listed as a Motor Fitter on his son's baptism records. Shortly after the war, Fred and Charles Daiber bought two motor buses and entered into an arrangement with Louis Solomons, the licensee of the Havelock Public House, to garage their buses at the back. They named their business Havelock Motor Works and rented horses, motor cars and buses. In 1939  Fred was living alone in the family home at 44 Holly Street and working as a 'Fitter Heavy Commercial Lorry' while Ellen appears to have been evacuated to Barry in South Wales where she was living with her daughter Violet and her husband, Leonard Penfold, in the Close household at 87 Princess Street. Their eldest son Fred and his wife Ethel were living in Edmonton, North London, Thomas was living in Chingford, Essex with his wife Doris, but youngest son William does not appear in the 1939 Register, most likely because he was serving in the military. Fred died in Enfield in 1968 and Ellen in the Mendip district in Somerset in 1986. 

In 1911, Rose was living in Sutton, Surrey with her husband husband Henry and their five children. Their eldest son John Edward was born on 1 April 1903 followed by Christine Winnifred on 24 December 1904, Gladys Lilian Margaret on 17 October 1906, Rose Angela on 24 July 1908, and finally Ivy Ellen on 1 October 1910. Sadly, Rose Angela died in 1917 aged only 8 years. The family moved to 42 Sydney Road in Sutton in 1904 and Rose, Henry and their youngest daughter were still there when the 1939 Register was completed. Henry was working as a Painter, Rose as a Saleslady and daughter Ivy in an armaments factory. Their three oldest children had all married but remained nearby in Sutton. Rose died in Sutton on 30 November 1948, aged 70 years, and her husband Henry died in 1966.

For a second time, Thomas John is missing from the census but other available records indicate that he remained in Dalston and continued to work as a bootmaker. On 17 April 1915, he enlisted in the 22nd Battalion of The London Regiment and declared his home address as his brother Fred's home at 40 Holly Street. His mother was listed as the next of kin at the same address and Thomas stated his age as 35 years when he was in fact 44 years old. Eighty-four days later he was discharged because he was 'not likely to become an efficient soldier (on medical grounds)' and his medical discharge noted that he suffered from a dilated heart, deficient & defective teeth in both jaws, defective vision, and general infirmity due to age. He was also described as being 5'2" and 140lbs — 10lbs more than when he enlisted.

In 1926, Thomas was visiting Brighton when he was struck by a motorcyle and was hospitalized from the resulting concussion. Sadly, the young woman riding pillion on the motorcyle was killed instantly. Thomas never married and died in Shoreditch in 1938 but was buried at the Bandon Hill Cemetery in Sutton, near where mother was living, on 3 August. 

Thomas and Caroline's two youngest daughters, Lily and Winnie, married the Spark brothers, Alexander William and Henry Jackson. Lily and Alexander married on 14 November 1915 at Holy Trinity Hackney with Winnie and brother Frederick standing as witnesses. Lily was still living at home, at 40 Holly Street, and working as a Blouse Maker while Alexander, who was ten years older, was working as a Plumber and living at 46 Mapledene Road.

Winnie and Henry married on 17 January 1926 at Holy Trinity with Alexander and their father, also Alexander, as witnesses. Henry was an Engineer and lived at the Spark family home on Mapledene Road and Winnie lived with her mother at 40 Holly Street. After their wedding, they lived in the Mallindine home where daughter Joan was born in 1928 and Lily and Alexander lived down the street at number 78. But both couples left Hackney in 1930 and followed sister Rose to Surrey where they settled in neighbouring houses on Elm Grove Parade in Wallington which lay between Sutton and Croydon. In 1939, Lily and Alexander were living at number one and he was working as a Decorative Handyman; Winnie and Henry lived next door along with their daughter and her mother Caroline and Henry worked as an Engineer in charge of cable stripping, possibly for the war effort. Caroline's occupation was listed as 'Blind OAP'. She died two years later, on 19 November 1941 and was buried on 22 November at Bandon Hill Cemetery in Sutton. Probate on her estate was granted to daughter Lily but the value was estimated at just £6.

Henry Jackson Spark died in Lewes, Sussex in 1965 and his wife Minnie died in Croydon in 1973. Alexander William Spark died in Brighton in 1959 and Lily died on 29 May 1983 in Brighton, although her last address was listed as 55 South Coast Road in Peacehaven, East Sussex.