henry james malendane + annie mccarty

Henry was born in Bethnal Green on 27 February 1853 to William Isaac Malandain and his wife Mary Ann Wilson and he was baptised at St John on 20 March. He grew up on Martha Street next to Victoria Park and later on Crabtree Row near Kingsland Road with his two older brothers.

Click for larger map

He married Annie McCarty on 3 February 1879 at St Thomas, one of ten churches built in Bethnal Green in the 1840s. By 1840, the population had expanded to almost 70 000 people and with only the two parish churches of St Matthew and St John to serve the area, the need for new church buildings was acute. The Bishop of London commissioned the construction of the new churches and each was dedicated to one of the remaining 10 apostles with St Matthias replacing Judas Iscariot as the twelfth apostle.

St Thomas was located on Baroness Road, between Hackney Road and Columbia Road, and completed in 1848. It was badly damaged by bombing during the Second World War and was demolished shortly after.

Annie McCarty was born in Shoreditch on 14 February 1858 to Stephen McCarty, a Hair Dresser who was originally from Dublin, and his wife Emma. Both Annie and Henry were living on Harman Street off Kingsland Road in Hoxton when they married and Henry was working as a Carpenter. Annie’s parents signed the register as witnesses.

In 1881, Henry and Annie were living at 24 Blackmore Street in the parish of St Clement Danes in Westminster and Henry was working as a Confectioner. The street lay between Drury Lane and Lincoln’s Inn Fields and was not far from the Clare Market — a maze of retail shops including butchers, greengrocers and cheesemongers. It’s not known if Henry worked in a confectionary shop in the area or at one of the growing number of factories that began mass producing sweets and biscuits in the late 19th century.

Ten years later, they had left Westminster and settled at 38 Great Western Road in West Ham where they occupied three rooms in a house that was home to three separate families. Henry was still working as a Confectioner but again no details on the nature of his work were listed.

When the 1901 census was taken, they were back living in the East End of London at 12 Gifford Street in Shoreditch. The living conditions were much more crowded than their home in West Ham as they occupied only one room in a house with thirteen inhabitants. In 1903, the Medical Officer for the London County Council surveyed the area and noted the following for Gifford Street:

In this street are some two-storey houses, and one row of three storey houses, thirteen in number, and all of same character. One tenant occupies the house, who sublets to four lodgers, one occupying two rooms and two occupying one room each. There are nineteen persons in all. There is only one water-closet situated in the yard. In the washhouse is placed the water-supply tap.

Henry’s occupation was listed as a Sugar Boiler so it appears he had started working at a sugar refinery or a factory rather than a shop or small enterprise. The work may have taken a toll on him as ten years later, he was a patient at the Shoreditch Infirmary but the census record does not include any information on why he was in the infirmary or how long he stayed. Annie remained in their lodgings on Gifford Street and worked as a Cook in a restaurant to support herself.

Henry died in Shoreditch in 1918 and after his death, Annie remained in the East End and in 1939, she was living alone at 140 New North Road in Islington. She died in Islington in 1949, aged 91 years.